Monday, 31 August 2015

HELLCAT F6F-3 USS Princetown.

Hello!

It's been a while since the last post so while I am able to I thought I would upload another build. This is the 1/48 Hobbyboss F6F-3 Hellcat I picked up at the IPMS Nationals last year.

In fact it was the only kit that I picked up at the nationals last year! But that is a story for another time...................

I bought this kit as I wanted a real blue water US Navy Hellcat in my collection and after seeing the inspirational work of Diego Quijano's 1/72 Hellcat in recent days my mind was made up! You can see Diego's work here: http://dqscaleworks.blogspot.co.uk

The Aircraft:




 The F6F was best known for its role as a rugged, well-designed carrier fighter which was able, after its combat debut in early 1943, to counter the Mitsubishi A6M Zero and help secure air superiority over the Pacific Theater. Such was the quality of the basic simple, straightforward design, that the Hellcat was the least modified fighter of the war, with a total of 12,200 being built in just over two years.[6]
Hellcats were credited with destroying 5,223 aircraft while in service with the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps and the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm. This was more than any other Allied naval aircraft. Postwar, the Hellcat was phased out of frontline service, but remained in service as late as 1954 as a night fighter.

Here are some photographs from World War II when the Hellcat was at the height of it's combat service...................









The Kit:



This is the 1/48 Hobbyboss kit which was my first build from this company. The kit is a mixed bag, Up side: lots of detail, folding wing option, wing stores, half decent cockpit, good value for money. Down side: This is not the best fitting mold, but with a little bit of elbow grease, it will go together. The kit does not supply any gun barrels, so I used some brass tubing cut to size, I will replace these with someting better in the future.

I tried some new technique's here, mainly mixing several shades of thinned Tamiya blue to get the sun faded look that I was after, weathering was done with a pre-shade and wash of black/brown tempra paints. The base was from the Hobbymaster range which I repainted to show off more detail and the pilot figure who I have named "Joe" was liberated from the 1/48 Tamiya Corsair kit.

The markings are from "2" VF-27 USS PRINCETON, 1944.