Thursday, 3 September 2015

PIN UP! On a Spitfire?

I LOVE Pin Up art on WWII aircraft!

I think it just looks fantastic and it really does take us back to more simple times. It took real artistic skill to paint the nose of a bomber or fighter and it became a wartime tradition that still exists today.

There are so many examples out there that made a particular warbird famous, who can forget all those USAAF Mustangs, Flying Fortresses and Thunderbolts?

So when Hasegawa released my favourite fighter with a nose art scheme I just had to build it!

Spitfire Mk.IX,  MK210 was leased to the USAAF for evaluation in 1944. She was fitted with external fuel tanks and put on flight trial at Wright Field. So what does the average US Airman do with a British Spitfire? He paints some good, old fashioned nose art on it!







Here is my version of MK210 "Tolly"



This 1/48 Hasegawa kit was a joy to build, very well detailed and straight forward assembly process. Many Spitfire purists complain about the kits dimensional accuracy but I for one think it's a good kit well worth the money I paid for it. I should note that I bought it many years ago before the price of Japanese kits required buyers to take out a mortgage 
before buying one of these kits! 

I added an Eduard detail set to the cockpit and kept weathering to a minimum. The Hasegawa decals were superb as usual and went on with no trouble at all. I wonder what the chaps at Biggin Hill would of made of MK210 if they had ever seen her?