Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Bf-109 G-10. A Step by Step Build. PART THREE.




Hello!

I hope those of you who are following this build I hope you are enjoying it. The Hasegawa 1/32 109's do not disappoint! I'm enjoying this model immensely!

I have now reached the stage of painting the model and this is a good time for me to add my two pennies worth about paint. Everyone has their own opinion on what paints are better or best for certain tasks. After posting my 1/32 Hurricane build I had some emails asking me to share how I go about the task of painting my models. So after answering said emails, it occurred to me that it wouldn't hurt to discuss this subject here.

So for those of you who are curious, here's what I do!

First, clean the model parts with warm, soapy water so that any mould release agent is removed. This is easy to do and really does help your paint adhere to the model's surface.

Next, choose your paint for the subject! The instruction sheet in your kit will tell you what colours you need and call out paint numbers for certain manufacturers. I find it is always a great help to find a photograph of the subject one is painting as it will give you a "real life" glimpse at how the aircraft really looked, and how it was weathered.

I used to use enamel paints exclusively, starting with hand brush painting techniques and then graduating onto a cheap airbrush with a spray can air supply. I think that's how most of us get started. What I have learned is you get what you pay for with airbrushes.
If you are serious about the hobby, invest in a decent airbrush and compressor set up! I cannot stress that enough!

I use an IWATA HP-CS Eclipse double-action airbrush with a IWATA Studio Series compressor, both have served me well for years and are a great hobby investment. Both are easy to use and maintain and with TLC, should last for years.

I now only use acrylic paints for airbrush use and after trying all of the main brands on the market I have settled on Tamiya and Mr.Hobby paints. These are the best acrylics out there and yes there are more expensive than enamels, but here again- You get what you pay for.

For this model of the Bf 109 G-10 I found a black and white photo from WWII, and pictures of other builds for the same aircraft with the same markings. (It is often handy to look at how someone else  has gone about it!) I knew that I would need RLM standard colours so I bought some Mr. Hobby RLM coded paints. You will see in the WIP photo's that they have good colour tone, look accurate in scale and give a hard, smooth finish.
BTW, for anyone who was wondering, you can thin Mr.Hobby paint with Tamiya thinner! I do, and it works fine!

Right. So that's what I do! Here's the next instalment of my Bf-109 G-10 build.







That's all for now folks!