Sunday, 6 December 2015

THE FORCE AWAKENS..........







There has been an awakening........Can you feel it? 





Hello!

It's been a long time since my last modelling update, this has been due to my wife's sudden illness. She is recovering now, but is still quite ill so there will be no new builds or WIP's for a while.
To my wonderful friends who have been helping me through what has been a most difficult time, thank you! When times are bad, you soon find out who has your back.

With all that's been going on, I thought I'd lighten the mood here with a little Star Wars fun.
The new movie, The Force Awakens is in cinema's in a couple of weeks from now and as my son and I are huge Star Wars fans, we can't wait to see it!
In the meantime, I am enjoying some great episode's of Collider Jedi Council to while away the days until I finally find out whatever happened to Luke Skywalker?

Just for fun, here is a selection of Star Wars models I have completed. Yes, even old warbird builders like me like to have a day off and let imagination run riot!

May the force be with you!

Mac. 


STAR WARS



First we have my diorama called "Death Star Run" This was inspired by an amazing build featured on Starship Modeller that I was in awe of! When Finemoulds Japan released their 1/72 X-Wing fighters I knew I wanted to build a couple of X-Wings in combat formation!
I took me some time to figure out what I would actually do with my two kits-Then I saw the aforementioned dio on SSM and my mind went into overdrive!

I had a vision of Luke and Wedge's X-Wings  screaming past a gun tower above the surface of the Death Star, a scene straight out of Star Wars Episode IV. The film that started it all.

The display base, featuring the gun turret was scratch built entirely from spares found in my workshop, including a large quantity of plastic card! The guns were fashioned from a couple of old tools and after much trial and error the piece began to take shape. The two X-Wings were built OOB and they were superb kits to work on. My only regret is that I built them so many years ago. When I think of how I could build them now!

Never mind, perhaps another dio in the future? Mmmm........Difficult the future is, to see.

Here is what I ended up with!


DEATH STAR RUN











The AMT X-Wing Fighter.

My second adventure in Sci Fi modelling came in the form of updating the old, 1:43 scale AMT/ERTL X-Wing. I found this kit on ebay for a good price and set about making "some modifications myself" as a certain hot shot pilot once said!

I can't remember everything I did to this build now.......It has been a few years! I improved the wing cannons, drilled out the torpedo tubes, scratchbuilt a new cockpit and of course that figure needed a lot of work! (Those of you who know this kit will understand!)

The kits display stand was adapted to fit onto a stock wooden base which I festooned with various spare parts to give an impression of the Death Star surface. I really love this build, still have it on the display shelf to this day. To me, it symbolises the fun of model making, which is a great thing to be reminded of once in a while..........................









THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK



HOTH PATROL

 I saw the Empire Strikes Back in 1980 and I was mesmerised by this film. It was AWESOME!

One thing the modelling world never gave us in a large scale was a kit of the wonderful animal the Tauntaun. This was the wonderful creature that was native to the snowy world of Hoth which Rebel soldiers  would ride on patrol.

I had a toy one when was a kid and 34 years later I found myself buying the same, slightly updated toy for my own son! That got me thinking, why not buy another toy and modify it to make a display piece of my own?

I eventually found a second hand Tauntaun and a Luke figure. I repainted the Tauntaun and its saddle, the figure had it's left arm reworked and I fashioned some micro-binoculars and a lightsabre from scratch. The figure also had a repaint using references from the film.
The base was made from some wood stock and decorated to resemble the snowy landscape of Hoth. This is such a simple build, but certainly one of my all time favourites.

I hope you enjoy it too!







REVENGE OF THE SITH



The last and in my humble opinion the best of the prequels........I had one goal. To make a diorama of a lightsabre duel that didn't look like a thrown together toy. Not sure I actually achieved that! What I did do was recreate the epic duel that is the climax of Revenge of the Sith.

Here I took the Hasbro "Unleashed" figures of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker, they were repainted and the lava props that came with them were also repainted to give a better effect. The powered platforms were elevated with painted plastic bottle tops to give the illusion of hovering above the lava which was painted onto the base.

I built this one for my son who loved it! That made my day!