Sunday, 31 January 2016

Ace's High Magazine-Review "Battle of Britain" Issue

Hello!

No time  at the bench this weekend due to the day job! However I have had time to have a read of the latest issue of ACES HIGH magazine. 




As indicated in the title, this edition covers subjects from the Battle of Britain and having not written a review for a while I thought I'd share my thoughts on this publication.

First off, I am not sponsored by AK Interactive or anyone else! This is just my honest opinion on the magazine. This is the second issue I have bought and I have to say I think this new type of format of modelling magazine is what I have been waiting for.

I'll explain what I mean.........This publication is aimed at the serious aircraft modeller. Each issue runs on a theme such as a theatre of operations or certain airforces or aircraft type. So in this issue all the subjects featured are aircraft that have associations with Battle of Britain.

The aircraft chosen for this issue were:

*Hawker Hurricane Mk.I
*Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I
* Junkers JU-87 Stuka
* Hienkel He-111 H
*Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-1
*Typhoon FG4A
*RAF pilot diorama
*RAF Austin Tilly


The subjects covered give a good balance and each article is written from a visual perspective to show the reader how each model has been built, detailed, painted and finished with a wide variety of materials and techniques. 

Each article is clearly and thoughtfully written and demonstrates the modellers processes with text and step by step photographs. This is so helpful when one sees a completed build in a magazine and asks "How did he do that?" 

I have enjoyed this issue immensely and it has given me new idea's to try on my future projects. If you like well detailed work in progress articles or just love looking at master class modelling, this is for you.

Below is an example of one of the builds from this issue a Typhoon FGR4 in Battle of Britain anniversary markings. I was lucky enough to see this fighter in action at RAF Fairford last year and intend to build my own in the future.


As you can see, the modellers who contribute to ACES HIGH are highly talented and their work is a joy to look upon. This really is Master Class model building and I can't wait to read the next issue.

 Highly Recommended! 

Happy Modelling!

Mac.