Monday, 11 January 2016

SR-71 Blackbird.



Hello and Happy New Year!

To all of you I wish you a safe, successful and happy 2016!

I have been stealing an hour or two here and there and this is my latest completion. This is the 1/72 Revell version of Lockheed's SR-71 Blackbird. This aircraft needs no introduction from me! She is Kelly Johnson's masterpiece and I was lucky enough to be around two of the SR-71 fleet on my travels.

She is an impressive sight and sound and wherever she flew she did it higher and faster than any SAM that might lock onto her! She was a technological marvel way ahead of her time and her missions in combat and peacetime undoubtably saved many lives.

I chose to use this model as a desktop display piece and it was built entirely OOB with no modifications at all. The display stand was liberated from a 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire kit. She wears the markings of the 9th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing based at Beale USAF Base, California.

Now the Blackbird has been retired, I feel almost we were cheated out of seeing this great aircraft soar above as majestically as she once did. One of the most incredible airframes ever produced, she was a leap ahead in design, engineering, radar cross section, speed and manufacturing. As a former engineer I can only stand back and admire the talent and skill of the Lockheed Skunk Works that made this aircraft a reality.

Here are some reference photo's of the SR-71 in her day...................









Here is is my finished 1/72 scale model, it was an easy kit to build and I used a mix of my own Tamiya paints to get the "off black" colour these aircraft often had. Hope you enjoy the model!