Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Supermarine Seafire F.XVII

New year, new projects............

Hello!

At last I am back at the bench and building again! I wanted a  nice and gentle OOB build towards the end of 2015 as I had little time to myself and that came in the form of the Airfix 1/48 Seafire F.XVII.



There is something strangely comforting about a "quick build" the ones where you just plod along with little or no research or just go where the instruction sheet takes you! No surgery here! Also there is always a hint of fond memory when working on an Airfix kit.

However............I couldn't resist having a few little tweaks here and there. Here is what I did:

*Exhaust stubs drilled out.
*PE Seat Harness added
*Cannons modified
*After Market decals added.

I should point out that Airfix provide a decent set of decals in the box with a choice of three separate schemes, I just fancied a different set of markings for this one. I have a great love of Fleet Air Arm aircraft and for many years I hosted the FAA Group Build over on FSM forums. I met some amazing people there and whenever I build anything in FAA markings I think of them.

I am well known for harking back to times gone by and have quite a romantic view of the 40's and 50's. This is why I love warbirds so much I guess. I chose this particular aircraft as its paint scheme reminded me of the flashy 50's Giffon powered fighters of the time. It strikes me that many a sunny afternoon around RNAS Bramcote would have been accompanied by the sight and sound of Seafire"s roaring across the Warwickshire skies.

I came across markings for this airframe when I dug out this decal sheet from my stash....


When I saw SX311 at the top of the sheet, I knew instantly that I wanted to build it. 
Hat off to Frieghtdog Models, this is a great set of markings for Post War Seafire's and I must say their decals are of the finest quality. If you have not used them before I can highly recommend them. They are well printed, very thin with superb colour reproduction. 10/10 from me! 

I only use acrylic paints now and that tends to be Tamiya of Mr.Hobby Colour paints as to me, they are the best out there. However, I have never found an "off the shelf" colour mix for FAA Extra Dark Sea Grey and Duck Egg Blue that I have been happy with. So for this model I mixed my own colours from Tamiya paints and I have to say I am well pleased with the results! No doubt, they won't please everyone but I don't care-they look right to me!

As this was a "quick build" I opted to keep things simple and kept weathering to an absolute minimum. These post war FAA fighters were kept quite clean in the early 1950's as can be seen here......





This was an enjoyable model to build and the nostalgia it provides is worth more than I paid for it! This kit is simple in its design and detailing and goes together without any drama's. Airfix are certainly upping their game when it comes to value and quality. Just what I want from them! 

Here is a photo of the aircraft I have built as she was back in the day. This Seafire F.XVII was serial no: SX 311 marked as 167 of 1833 FAA Sqn. based at RNAS Bramcote in 1952. Here she can be seen embarked aboard a carrier of the day.......


I hope you have enjoyed this little trip down memory lane,