Saturday, 19 March 2016

MAIL CALL!

MAIL CALL!



Hello and welcome back to the SCALE MODEL HANGAR!

This week I have been asked to write a FAQ post as I have lots of readers now asking me questions so in this "Mail Call" I will attempt to answer the most popular questions that I am asked. 

"What airbrush do you use?"

I use an IWATA HP-CS Eclipse double action professional airbrush. This airbrush can be used for all modelling applications from large paint coverage to fine detail work. 

My airbrush is powered by an IWATA Smart Jet compressor with a built in air tank. These are professional tools  and as such are an expensive investment. If you are a beginner, this can be a daunting prospect that can put you off airbrushing all together! 

Here is my advice- Don't do what I did when I was a beginner! I bought a cheap, single action airbrush that continually failed and never helped me achieve the results I wanted. It was powered by a cheap compressor that also failed. 

I went to see a profession modeller to see what he was using and my eyes were opened! if you want a good reliable airbrush, you need to invest in one. 

Obviously, just owning a great airbrush does not make one a great modeller or painter. You have to practice! I've been modelling for over 15 years and I'm only now starting to get the hang of it! 

Which brings me onto my second question..........

"Which airbrush would you recommend to the beginner?"

I would tell you to try the IWATA NEO airbrush, you can combine this with their portable compressor and you will get quality and reliability without making all the expensive mistakes that I made back in the past! 

"What paint do you use?"

I use acrylic paints exclusively now. My peers introduced to Tamiya and Grunze/Mr.Color acrylic paints and I have never looked back. Both Mr.Hobby and Tamiya paints are in my opinion the best on the market today. They offer a superb colour palette which is accurate and when thinned correctly provide excellent coverage with a very smooth finish.

"Do you build models for other people?"

Yes I do! I get commissions from others who have seen my work or heard about me by word of mouth. I have had the honour of building models and diorama's for military veterans and to able to give a little something back to them is a great experience. Building for others is great fun and a real pleasure when they are presented with their finished model. I have also had the honour of seeing my work displayed in public museums and model stores. 

"Do you enter your work in competition?"

No. I don't. I simply believe that my work is not up to the exceptionally high standards here on the UK competition scene. Maybe one day..........

"How do you age or weather your models?"

This is something I get asked a lot these days! I wouldn't say I have any special techniques, I have just learnt many methods for many different effects over the years. I could write an entire page on my weathering methods and I am by no means an expert on the subject! If there is a particular technique you would like me to describe-just ask!

"How long does it take you to make a model from beginning to end?" 

This is not an easy one to answer! It depends on what is going on in my life at the time. I'd say the average time for me is about two months. That said, one of my all time master works took me over two years!


That's all from this session of "Mail Call!" I hope that my answers have helped!

If you want to ask about any specific model or build technique use the contact form on the front page of the blog and I'll do my best to answer your question.

Take care and Happy Modelling! 

'Mac.