Sunday, 26 June 2016

More Hummer Work In Progress!

Hello and welcome!

Today I had a wonderfully quiet afternoon in my studio just plodding away with my two Humvee's. 

As I mentioned in my last post I was unsure about the mottle colour on both vehicles, in the end I decided to go with the brown colour and I am happy with how it turned out. You can judge for yourself from the photo's.

I managed to do a little more scratch building, this time my attention turned to making side mirrors for the "convertible"  They are not 100% scale accurate but they are close enough! 



I also had to add the 2/Bravo markings to the rag-top. This was tricky to do as on this vehicle the markings were much smaller and located just forward of the front wheel arches. So a tiny mask was cut out and after spraying on the basic outline of the lettering, the rest was touched up by hand painting with avery fine brush and with the aid of  a powerful magnifier visor!


 You can see below that I managed to paint the markings to a recognisable standard, but decals would have been better. 

 Next I had a go at rigging up a radio set for the rag top by copying the set in the Tamiya kit and making my own from spare plastic parts and photo-etch. 


 I also attempted to replicate the rear stowage shelf mounted to the rear of the Hummer, these were used for carrying water and fuel jerry cans and ammo crates so they need to be big. Some designs varied according to which vehicle one looks at. I decided to go with a simple light weight design that was simple to make from plasti-card and 0.5mm rod. 


 I still have a fair bit more stowage to add! The ammo boxes were assembled, I will paint and finish them next time I am at the bench. Just how these machines  got across the desert with all this kit on them is beyond me!





Finally, here is how both Hummers look now after some more painting...... 










That's all for this time. I hope you are enjoying the build as much as I am. Take care and Happy Modelling! 

Darren.